Sunday, October 5, 2008

Paul Bunyan


So, it's been awhile. I forgot about this thing the second I started grad school. Definitely didn't have the time to do this, and I must admit, the list of great beards was running out. So for the triumphant return of beard of the day, I will go with a legend, a classic, an icon: Paul Bunyan. This guy had many things going for him. He was a lumberjack, he was a giant, and he had a blue ox. Sure this guy is a myth, but how sweet are the myths about him. "Paul cleared trees from both North and South Dakota so that the land there would make better farm land." What a great guy he was, a man of the people I would say. Making the Dakotas habitable, what a guy. Also "he made the Great Lakes so that his blue ox Babe would have some drinking water." What a solid fellow, creating a place for his big blue ox to drink water. It's not like glaciers melted or anything, it was definitelly all Paul. And it's not like he's faded out over time, he's still all over the place. "Life-size" statues are definitely a must for a legend. And I'm not just talking about one, I'm definitely talking multiple. All over the place, Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Oregon, and even in Maine. So here's to the man that will live in beard history for eternity: Good work buddy.

No comments: